Apple "Chenango Strawberry"
Order fulfilment occurs after harvest between April 1st - April 30th
Early American Heritage Apple
[Acid-low; Sugar-high; Tannin-low]
Fresh, Culinary, Juice, Cider
Sweet, Subacid, Aromatic
- Shape: Medium/Large Conical
- Skin: Yellow-greenish skin with red stripes, smooth and tough skin
- Flesh: White, crunchy, firm.
This highly aromatic apple has a fruity, strawberry characteristic to it and will fill your whole kitchen during the long harvesting window. It is surprisingly juicy and full flavoured with a hint of acidity.
Contentious origins of either Chenango, NY or Connecticut, but the earliest definitive recording was in c1854 at Lebanon, NY.
- Precocity: Early
- Vigour: Moderate
- Disease Tolerance: Poor
- Zone Hardiness: 4 (Map link)
- Pollination Group: III (Chart) (Diploid)
- Cropping: Annual
- Picking Season: July-Late August **ripe when skin turns milky, needs some spot picking.
- Storage: N/A 1-2 months
- Special Care: Long-lived tree, but can be difficult to grow
About the Rootstocks: Click on link for details
Planting Instructions: Click on link for details