Apple "Northern Spy"
Order fulfilment occurs after harvest between April 1st - April 30th
[Acid-medium/high; Sugar-medium/high; Tannin-low]
Fresh, Culinary, Cider
Crisp, Sweet, Aromatic
- Shape: Medium-large, conical with slight ribbing
- Skin: Green background with significant red flush. The thin skin can bruise easily
- Flesh: Cream-coloured, firm, fine-grained and crunchy
Crisp, rich baked apple aromas with a powerful, well-balanced apple flavour.
First identified in East Bloomfield, NY c1800. In an exciting twist of modern politics, Senator Joseph McCarthy was sent a box of “Northern Spy” apples by the Toronto Globe and Mail in 1953 as a response to allegations of communist spies in Canada.
- Precocity: Late
- Vigour: Quite vigorous, strong and large branches, upright or pyramidal
- Disease Tolerance: Poor
- Zone Hardiness: 4 (Map Link)
- Pollination Group: IV (Chart) (Diploid, Self-Fertile)
- Cropping: Biennial tendency
- Picking Season: Late October
- Storage: 3-6 months
- Special Care: Used for rootstock, especially with its aphid resistance. Partial tip-bearing
About the Rootstocks: Click on link for details
Planting Instructions: Click on link for details