Apple "Zabergau Reinette"
Order fulfilment occurs after harvest between April 1st - April 30th
An Apple that Starts with “Z”
[Acid-medium/low; Sugar-medium; Tannin-low]
Eating, Culinary, Cider
Sweet, Aromatic, Nettles
- Shape: Large, round, somewhat conical
- Flesh: White-green, dense and crunchy
- Skin: Greenish yellow with significant russeting spreading from the stem
Very aromatic with a hint of nettles and fresh cut grass leading into a balanced, sweet, nutty and rich flavour reminiscent of a Belle de Boskoop and other russet.
A chance seedling grew in 1885 near Hausen, Bade Württemberg on a site overlooking the Zaber River with likely parentage of a Canadian Reinette. Zabergäu references the site, and Reinette is alternately used to refer to the richness of the juice or apple trees grown from seed.
- Precocity: Average
- Vigour: Moderately vigorous, upright, spreading, sometimes dome-shaped
- Disease Tolerance: Above Average
- Zone Hardiness: 4, best in temperate climates (Map link)
- Pollination Group: III (Chart) (Diploid, Self-Sterile)
- Cropping: Biennial tendency, heavy crops
- Picking Season: Late October
- Storage: 3-6 months
- Special Care: Spur-bearing
About the Rootstocks: Click on link for details
Planting Instructions: Click on link for details