Order fulfilment occurs after harvest between April 1st - April 30th
The Queen of Baking Apples
[Acid-medium; Sugar-high; Tannin-low]
Tangy, Mildly Sweet
- Shape: Medium-large, round
- Skin: Glossy, green base with significant red flush, and darker red striping. White lenticels, thick skinned.
- Flesh: Crisp white, fine and firm.
Flavour enhances during cooking. Very traditional flavors of sweet, rich, molasses and spices.
Cultivated by Joel Gillett 1816 Rome, OH and has gone on to become one of the top ten apples sold in the United States.
- Precocity: Early
- Vigour: Moderately high, tendency to weep
- Disease Tolerance: Poor
- Zone Hardiness: 4 (Map link)
- Pollination Group: V (Chart) (Diploid, Self-Fertile)
- Cropping: Annual, reliable heavy crops
- Picking Season: October
- Storage: 3-4 months
- Special Care: Tip bearing
About the Rootstocks: Click on link for details
Planting Instructions: Click on link for details